- Powerful but compact stereo audio amplifier
- Cool-running 22 watts RMS per channel
- 2 inputs for iPod, iPhone, computer, TV, etc.
- High-performance headphone output
- Variable preamp output
- USB charge/power port
- Gold-plated speaker connectors
- High-quality analog volume control
- Detachable power cord
- Power-saving idle mode
- Hand-finished MDF wood cabinet
- Integrated vertical stand
- Cables included
- Recommended speakers: Audioengine P4
- Audioengine P4 passive speakers
- Audioengine wireless audio adapters
- Desktop computers and laptops (Mac and PC)
- iPods and iPhones
- Rear channel surround speakers
- Any products with mini-jack or RCA audio outputs!
What's in the box
(1) N22 amplifier with integrated stand
(1) N22 power supply
(1) Detachable AC power cord
(1) 1/8" audio cable, 2 meters (~6.5ft)
(1) RCA audio cable, 1 meter (~3.25ft)
(2) Speaker wire (16AWG), 1.75 meters (~5.75ft)
(1) Cloth amplifier bag
(1) Cloth power supply bag
(1) Cloth cable bag
(1) Setup Guide
(1) Product line brochure
Compact Integrated Stereo Amplifier
22W RMS / 40W peak per channel (AES)
Dual Class AB monolithic
110-240V, 50/60Hz auto-switching
RCA and 1/8" (3.5mm) mini-jack
RCA variable preamp
5-way binding posts
<0.02% at all power settings
10K ohms unbalanced
410mV (@max volume)
Output current limiting, thermal over-temperature, power on/off transient protection
7"(H) x 2.75"(W) x 5.5"(D)
3.55 lbs (1.6kg)
5.0 lbs (4.6kg)
Shipping box dims
11.5"(H) x 7.5"(W) x 9.5"(D)
The vertical design of the N22 with its integrated stand allows the 22 watt/per channel stereo class A/B amplifiers to run cool through passive convection without a fan or massive heatsink. The N22 fits easily on your desk and doesn't take up much space.
Discrete headphone amplifier
For headphone enthusiasts the N22 includes a high-performance, low-noise discrete amplifier which works well with all types of headphones and earphones.
The Audioengine N22 has a built-in power port for iPod charging while listening to your music. The USB connector allows you to charge and power your iPod, iPhone, Audioengine wireless adapters or any other USB powered product. USB is for power only, not USB audio or data transfer.
Variable line out
The N22 includes a variable preamp output so you can connect a subwoofer, external amplifier, or Audioengine wireless adapter and control the volume of the line-out from the front panel.
Both audio inputs on the N22 are active so two audio sources may be connected to the amplifier at the same time without the need for an input switch. A standby idle mode is also included to conserve power when you're not playing music.
Wireless rear speakers
Use the N22 amp, Audioengine P4 passive speakers, and our W3 wireless adapter for a low-cost but great-sounding wireless rear channel setup for your home theater.
What type of speakers work best with the N22 amplifier?
The N22 is an efficient design and works great with any 4, 6, or 8 ohm passive speakers, including the Audioengine P4!
Will my low impedance (low Z) Grado headphones work with N22?
Yes, the N22 will work well with headphones or earphones with an impedance from 16 to 300 ohms.
Can I increase the length or change the speaker wire between the N22 and each speaker?
Sure. We've included two 5-foot, 16-gauge speaker wires with the N22 but any "stranded" speaker wire will work. The standard-size speaker binding posts on the back of the amp will accept bare stranded wire, however if you want to terminate the wires we recommend using spade or pin-type terminals.
Can I connect a subwoofer to the N22?
Yes, simply connect the full-range output of the N22 into your sub's line-level input. The sub and speaker volume can be controlled together by the N22 volume control.
Is it possible to use the N22 amp to power the rear channels of my surround system?
Yes, the N22 amp + P4 passive speakers + W1 or W3 wireless stereo adapter will make a great-sounding wireless rear channel setup.
Can I take my Audioengine N22 to another country with a different voltage?
Yes, the N22 uses an external switching power supply so it will automatically convert to a different voltage when plugged in. The power cable is also detachable which makes it convenient to replace the AC plug with a different type if you don't want to use an adapter plug.
Is it OK to remove the stand attached to the N22 and place the amp on it's side?
The N22 needs to be kept upright with the stand attached for proper cooling.
Can I leave the N22 power on all the time?
Sure, the N22 has a power-saving idle mode that activates after you stop playing music. If I plug in headphones will the N22 mute my music playing through the speakers? Yes, plugging in headphones will bypass the speaker output so audio will play through your headphones only.
N22 Troubleshooting Tips
First check to see if the green LED on your power supply brick lights up when AC power is applied and that all of the pins are straight and connected properly. If the light comes on:
- Make sure all of your connections are complete and all of your cables are in working order (you will want to swap out some interconnects to test for this).
- Use as many different input sources as possible to see if the problem persists.
- Try listening on headphones if possible to see if the issue is present here as well.
- Swap your left and right speaker to see if the issue remains in the same channel or follows the speaker.
- Make sure your speaker wire is connected according to proper polarity (Red to Gold, Black to Silver) on both ends.
- Use the mini plug (Input B) as well as the RCA jacks (Input A) to see how the speakers react. Switch the RCA jacks (red and white) to see if the issue remains in the same channel.
- Check to see that any wall outlets or surge protectors are switched to the "On" position and are in working order. If you are using any wireless devices, preamps, or external DACs in line with your N22, temporarily remove the devices from your setup and connect your source directly to the N22.
- If you are using a computer in line with your N22, please make sure the volume is up on your media players, internet radio, master control, device volume, etc. and your balance control in centered.
- Test your N22 in a different location and / or setup to see if something is causing interference in the current location. Something as simple as a router, cordless / mobile phone, halogen lamps, etc. near the speakers may be causing the issue.
If the problem persists please provide us with the results of your troubleshooting. Please also include the date, purchase location, and serial number for warranty purposes. If you live outside of the continental US you will need to contact your dealer or our distributor in your country for further assistance.